I-130 Approved but No NVC Case? What Happens Next in 2026

I-130 approved but no NVC case, immigrant couple reviewing U.S. immigration documents

Getting an I-130 approval notice can be a huge relief.

After months of waiting, you finally see those words: “Case Was Approved.”

But then another problem starts.

You wait for an NVC case number.

Days pass. Maybe weeks pass.

And you start wondering:

“My I-130 was approved, so why hasn’t the NVC contacted me yet?”

If this is happening to you, don't panic. An I-130 approval and the creation of an NVC case are two different steps in the U.S. immigration process.

For people going through consular processing, there is normally a transition from USCIS to the National Visa Center (NVC) before the case moves toward the immigrant visa interview.

Here is what that process actually looks like and what you should watch for.

First, What Does an I-130 Approval Actually Mean?

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, is used by qualifying U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents to establish a qualifying family relationship with a relative who may be seeking an immigrant benefit.

An approved I-130 is an important milestone.

But there is one thing applicants should understand clearly:

An approved I-130 is not the same thing as receiving a Green Card.

USCIS explains that approval of Form I-130 does not by itself give the beneficiary lawful permanent resident status or immediate permission to immigrate to the United States.

What happens next depends on the beneficiary's situation.

For someone outside the United States who will use consular processing, the approved petition generally moves from USCIS to the Department of State's National Visa Center.

That is where another part of the immigration journey begins.

So, What Happens After USCIS Approves the I-130?

Think of it as passing the case from one government agency to another.

The basic process can look like this:

I-130 filed

↓

USCIS reviews the petition

↓

USCIS approves the I-130

↓

Approved petition is sent to NVC

↓

NVC creates the immigrant visa case

↓

NVC sends a Welcome Letter

↓

Applicant accesses CEAC

↓

Fees, DS-260 and supporting documents

↓

NVC document review

↓

Interview scheduling

↓

Immigrant visa interview

↓

Visa decision

The exact process can vary depending on the category and circumstances of the case.

So, if you have just received an I-130 approval notice, you may still have several steps ahead.

Why Haven't I Received My NVC Case Number Yet?

This is probably the question most people ask after an I-130 approval.

The simple answer is that USCIS and NVC do not perform the same job.

USCIS makes the decision on the I-130 petition.

For eligible cases going through consular processing, the approved petition then has to reach NVC.

NVC must receive the petition and create the case in its system.

Only after that process can you receive the information needed to continue with NVC processing.

The Department of State acknowledges that there can be a period of time between USCIS approving a petition and NVC receiving and creating the corresponding case.

So don't assume that something is wrong simply because your NVC case number did not appear immediately after your USCIS approval.

What Is the NVC Welcome Letter?

Once NVC creates the case, it generally sends a Welcome Letter.

This letter is extremely important.

It provides information such as your:

  • NVC Case Number

  • Invoice ID Number

  • Instructions for accessing CEAC

  • Information about the next steps

Keep this letter somewhere safe.

You will need the information from it as you move through the NVC process.

If you receive it by email, save a copy. If it arrives by mail, keep the original with your immigration records.

It may become one of the most useful documents in your case.

What Is CEAC?

You may hear the word CEAC repeatedly after your I-130 approval.

CEAC stands for the Consular Electronic Application Center.

For immigrant visa cases, CEAC is used for several important parts of the NVC process.

Depending on your case, you may use CEAC to:

  • Pay immigration-related fees

  • Complete the DS-260

  • Upload financial documents

  • Upload civil documents

  • Submit supporting evidence

  • Review messages and case information

This is why the NVC Case Number and Invoice ID in the Welcome Letter matter.

Without the correct case information, you may not be able to proceed through the normal online process.

What Happens After You Get the NVC Case Number?

This is where the process can start to feel more complicated.

The applicant and petitioner may need to complete several tasks before the case can move toward an interview.

One of the first things you should do is carefully read the instructions associated with your case.

Don't rely entirely on what another person did.

Your friend's case may involve a different family category, country, financial situation or immigration history.

Those differences can matter.

The DS-260 Is an Important Step

If you are applying for an immigrant visa through consular processing, you will generally need to complete Form DS-260, Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application.

This is completed online through CEAC.

The information on the DS-260 needs to be accurate.

Something as simple as an incorrect date, address, marital-history entry or other biographical information can create questions later.

Take your time when completing it.

After submitting the DS-260, keep the confirmation page because it can be required later during the interview process.

What About the Affidavit of Support?

For many family-based immigrant visa cases, the financial sponsorship portion is another major step.

The petitioner generally needs to submit Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, when required.

The purpose is to demonstrate that the intending immigrant has the required financial sponsorship.

If the petitioner does not meet the applicable financial requirements, a joint sponsor may sometimes be possible.

But don't assume that having a joint sponsor automatically solves every financial issue.

The specific requirements depend on the case.

Financial documents can also become a common source of delays when information is missing, outdated or inconsistent.

What Documents Does NVC Need?

This is where many applicants start making lists.

Depending on your circumstances and country, you may need documents such as:

  • Birth certificate

  • Marriage certificate

  • Divorce or death certificates from previous marriages

  • Police certificates

  • Passport

  • Court records, if applicable

  • Military records, if applicable

  • Financial documents

  • Evidence relating to the qualifying family relationship

  • Certified translations when required

The exact document requirements are not identical for every country.

That is important.

A document checklist found in a Facebook group or immigration forum may be useful for understanding what other people experienced, but it should not replace the current official requirements for your own case.

What If NVC Says Something Is Missing?

Don't assume that a document request means your I-130 has been denied.

The I-130 petition and the NVC document-review stage are separate parts of the overall process.

If NVC identifies a problem with your documents, you may need to correct the issue and submit the requested material.

This is one reason it is important to read NVC messages carefully.

A small missing document can sometimes prevent the case from moving forward.

Does I-130 Approval Mean My Visa Is Guaranteed?

No.

This is one of the biggest misunderstandings surrounding family-based immigration.

An I-130 approval establishes the qualifying family relationship for immigration purposes, but it does not automatically guarantee an immigrant visa.

For family-preference categories, visa availability can be a major issue.

The applicant may have to wait until an immigrant visa becomes available under the applicable category and priority date.

This is why two people can both have approved I-130 petitions but have very different timelines.

What Is the Priority Date?

Your priority date can be extremely important if your petition falls into a family-preference category.

In simple terms, it helps determine your place in the visa-availability system.

The U.S. Department of State publishes the Visa Bulletin, which provides information about immigrant visa availability.

If your category is subject to numerical limits, an I-130 approval does not necessarily mean you can immediately move to the final immigrant-visa stage.

For immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, the rules are different because those visas are not subject to the same annual numerical limitations.

So always identify your immigration category before trying to predict your timeline.

What If the Beneficiary Is Already in the United States?

This is another important distinction.

Not every approved I-130 goes through NVC.

If the beneficiary is already in the United States and qualifies to adjust status, the case may proceed through Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, instead of consular processing.

That means the basic path can look very different.

Someone living outside the United States may be dealing with:

USCIS → NVC → U.S. Embassy/Consulate

While an eligible person inside the United States may instead deal primarily with:

USCIS → Adjustment of Status

This is why copying another person's immigration timeline can be misleading.

How Long Does It Take to Get an NVC Case Number?

There is no single guaranteed number of days that applies to every I-130 case.

The petition must first move from USCIS to NVC.

NVC then receives it and creates the case.

The Department of State publishes updated information about the petitions it is currently receiving and processing.

Those published timeframes can change.

So, if you are trying to determine whether your case is simply waiting in the normal transfer process or whether you need to take action, check the latest official NVC information rather than relying on an old social-media post.

What Should You Do While Waiting?

This is actually a good time to get organized.

Instead of checking your email every ten minutes, use the waiting period productively.

Make sure your passport is valid.

Check your civil documents.

Look at whether you need updated police certificates.

Gather financial documents.

Make sure names and dates are consistent across important records.

If documents are not in English, determine whether a certified translation will be required.

And most importantly, keep copies of everything you submit.

A simple folder containing your USCIS notices, NVC correspondence, civil documents and copies of submissions can save you a lot of stress later.

Don't Ignore Your Email or Mail

Immigration cases generate a lot of paperwork.

People sometimes miss important communications because an email goes into spam or because an old mailing address is still being used.

Keep your contact information current whenever you are required to update it.

Check your email regularly.

Check your spam folder.

Keep copies of government notices.

And don't delete important immigration emails just because you think you will never need them again.

You may need information from them months later.

A Common Mistake: Thinking “Approved” Means “Finished”

Imagine this:

You receive your I-130 approval.

You celebrate.

You tell your family that the Green Card is finally coming.

Then nothing seems to happen.

This can be confusing.

But the better way to look at the approval is:

One major stage has been completed. The next stage now begins.

For an overseas case, that next stage may involve NVC.

For someone eligible for adjustment of status, it may involve USCIS and Form I-485.

For a preference category, visa availability may also affect what happens next.

Understanding which path applies to you is much more useful than simply counting the number of days since your I-130 approval.

What If You Think Your Case Is Stuck?

If a significant amount of time has passed and you believe something is wrong, don't immediately assume the petition has disappeared.

First, check the information in your USCIS approval notice.

Then check the Department of State's current NVC guidance and processing information.

If appropriate, you can also contact NVC through the official channels provided by the Department of State.

If there is an unusual issue involving your immigration history, inadmissibility, prior removal, fraud concerns, criminal history or another complicated matter, getting advice from a qualified immigration attorney may be appropriate.

Frequently Asked Questions

My I-130 was approved. Do I automatically get a Green Card?

No. I-130 approval does not itself grant permanent resident status.

My I-130 was approved but I don't have an NVC number. Is that normal?

There can be a transition period while USCIS transfers the approved petition to NVC and NVC creates the case.

What happens after NVC creates my case?

You may need to pay applicable fees, complete the DS-260, submit the Affidavit of Support and provide the required civil and supporting documents.

Can I-130 approval be followed by a visa denial?

Yes. I-130 approval and immigrant-visa eligibility are separate issues. The applicant must still satisfy the requirements for the immigrant visa.

Does everyone with an approved I-130 go through NVC?

No. The process depends on whether the beneficiary will use consular processing or, if eligible, adjustment of status in the United States.

Why is my friend's I-130 moving faster than mine?

Different family categories, priority dates, processing stages, countries, visa availability and individual circumstances can produce very different timelines.

Conclusion

If your I-130 has been approved but you are still waiting for an NVC case number, the most important thing is not to panic.

An I-130 approval is a major step, but it is not necessarily the final step.

For many beneficiaries outside the United States, the case still has to move through the National Visa Center, followed by the CEAC/document stage and eventually the immigrant visa interview process.

At the same time, remember that every immigration case is different.

Your family relationship, location, visa category, priority date and individual immigration history can all affect what happens next.

The safest approach is to follow the current instructions from USCIS and the U.S. Department of State, rather than relying on an old timeline posted online.

An approved I-130 means an important door has opened. It does not mean the entire immigration journey is over.

Official Sources

Legal Disclaimer

This article is provided for general educational and informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Immigration procedures and requirements can change, and individual cases can involve facts that materially affect the outcome. Always verify current requirements with the appropriate U.S. government agency or consult a qualified immigration attorney regarding your specific situation.

Comments

Petitioners Legal Guide

Sonam Wangchuk Hunger Strike 2026: Why He Fasted, What Happened and What Changed

Inside a Federal Court Hearing: What Pro Se Litigants Should Know Before Appearing

How Do You Argue a Case in Court?

What Evidence Is Strongest in an Asylum Case? A Practical Guide for U.S. Applicants