Can an Asylee Bring Children to the United States?

Asylee mother reunited with her two children at a U.S. airport, illustrating family reunification through Form I-730.

U.S. Immigration Law | Family Reunification | Form I-730

A practical guide for parents granted asylum in the United States who want to reunite with their children.

Introduction

Being granted asylum in the United States can bring a sense of safety and relief, especially for parents who have experienced persecution. However, many asylees continue to worry about children who remain outside the country or who were not included in their original asylum applications.

A common question is: Can an asylee bring their children to the United States?

Yes. In many cases, a person who has been granted asylum in the United States can petition for qualifying children to join them through a process known as following-to-join asylum. The primary form used for this purpose is Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition.

However, eligibility depends on several important factors, including the child's age, marital status, relationship to the parent, and the date the parent filed for asylum or received asylum status.

This guide explains how the process works, what documents may be required, and what parents should consider before filing.

1. Can an asylee bring children from another country?

Yes. A principal asylee may generally file a separate Form I-730 for each qualifying unmarried child under 21 who is living outside the United States.

This process allows eligible family members to obtain derivative asylee status and join the parent in the United States.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) handles the petition process. If the child is abroad, additional processing through the appropriate U.S. government offices overseas may be necessary after approval.

An approved petition does not automatically mean that the child can travel immediately. The beneficiary must complete the required processing before travelling to the United States.

Official guidance: U.S. Department of State — Follow-to-Join Refugees and Asylees.

2. Who qualifies as a child for an asylee petition?

For derivative asylum purposes, a qualifying child generally must be unmarried and under 21, subject to applicable age-protection rules.

Eligible relationships can include:

  • Biological children, whether born within or outside marriage.

  • Qualifying stepchildren.

  • Qualifying legally adopted children.

  • Certain children conceived before the parent was granted asylum but born afterwards.

The exact requirements depend on the type of relationship and the relevant dates.

Important: The child's age may be protected

A child turning 21 does not necessarily mean that they automatically lose eligibility.

Under the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA), certain children of asylum applicants may continue to qualify based on their age when the principal parent's Form I-589 was filed.

For example, if a parent filed an asylum application when their child was 19, and the child turned 21 while the asylum case was pending, the child may still qualify under the applicable age-protection rules.

However, the child's marital status, whether the child was properly listed or otherwise qualifies, and the particular immigration benefit being sought must also be considered.

Do not assume that every child who turns 21 remains eligible. The specific facts and applicable CSPA provisions matter.

Official source: USCIS Policy Manual — Child Status Protection Act.

3. What if the child was not included in the original asylum application?

A parent may still be able to petition for a qualifying child who was not included in the original asylum application.

However, the parent should carefully review the original Form I-589, the asylum approval documents, and the circumstances surrounding the child's omission.

USCIS guidance recognizes that certain derivative asylum eligibility issues can arise when a child was not listed on the principal applicant's original application. Additional evidence and an explanation may be needed, depending on the circumstances.

Parents should not assume that omission from the original application automatically makes the child ineligible, or that it has no consequences.

4. What is Form I-730?

Form I-730 is called the Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition.

It is used by qualifying principal asylees and refugees to request derivative status for eligible family members.

For an asylee, it can provide a route for an eligible child to join the parent in the United States.

The petition is generally subject to a two-year filing deadline, measured from the date the parent was granted asylum. USCIS may extend this deadline for humanitarian reasons in qualifying circumstances.

A separate Form I-730 is generally required for each child.

Official source: USCIS — Form I-730 Instructions.

5. What documents may be required?

The documents needed depend on the child's relationship to the parent and the facts of the case.

Commonly relevant evidence includes:

  • A copy of the parent's asylum approval notice or other evidence of asylee status.

  • The child's birth certificate showing the parent-child relationship.

  • A recent photograph of the child, as required by the instructions.

  • Evidence of legal name changes, where applicable.

  • Adoption records or other documents establishing the qualifying relationship, if relevant.

  • Certified English translations of documents issued in another language.

If a birth certificate is unavailable, inconsistent, or contains errors, the parent should review the applicable USCIS evidence requirements and determine whether alternative evidence is appropriate.

It is important to provide truthful, consistent information across the petition and supporting documents.

6. What happens after Form I-730 is filed?

The process generally involves several stages.

  1. Filing the petition

    The principal asylee submits a separate Form I-730 for each qualifying child, together with the required supporting evidence.

  2. USCIS review

    USCIS reviews the petition and may request additional evidence or arrange an interview if required.

  3. Approval and overseas processing

    If the child is outside the United States and the petition is approved, the case may be sent for further processing through the appropriate U.S. government office.

  4. Interview and required checks

    The child may need to attend an interview and complete identity, security, medical, or other required procedures, as applicable.

  5. Travel to the United States

    If all required steps are completed and the child is cleared for travel, they may be able to join the parent in the United States.

Processing times vary. Parents should avoid making non-refundable travel arrangements until the relevant authorities confirm that the child is authorized to travel.

Source: U.S. Department of State — Follow-to-Join Processing.

7. What if the child is already in the United States?

A child who is already in the United States may also be eligible for derivative asylum benefits through Form I-730, depending on the circumstances.

The fact that the child is physically present in the country does not automatically prevent the parent from filing.

However, the child's current immigration status, whether they are in removal proceedings, and whether they were previously included in the asylum case should be carefully reviewed.

If the child has an independent asylum application or another pending immigration matter, the family should obtain case-specific legal advice before deciding how to proceed.

8. What if the child is over 21 or married?

This is one of the most important issues for parents to consider.

Generally, Form I-730 is intended for unmarried children who meet the applicable age requirements. A child who is over 21 or married may not qualify for derivative asylum benefits through the ordinary I-730 process.

However, certain age-protection provisions may apply, and other family-based immigration options might be available depending on the parent's current immigration status.

For example, a parent who later becomes a U.S. citizen may have different family-based petition options.

The appropriate route depends on the child's age, marital status, the parent's immigration status, and the relevant immigration laws.

9. What if the parent has not yet received asylum?

A pending asylum application is not the same as an approved asylum grant.

If a parent is still waiting for an asylum decision, they generally cannot use Form I-730 as a principal asylee to bring a child from abroad under the following-to-join process.

However, children who are physically present in the United States may, in appropriate circumstances, be included in the parent's asylum application.

USCIS provides guidance about including eligible family members in an asylum application and the circumstances in which a family member may qualify for derivative asylum status.

Parents should carefully distinguish between a pending asylum application, an asylum grant, and a case pending before the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA).

Source: USCIS — Affirmative Asylum Eligibility and Applications.

10. Does an approved I-730 guarantee that the child can enter the United States?

Not necessarily.

An approved Form I-730 is an important step, but it does not mean that every remaining requirement has automatically been satisfied.

If the child is outside the United States, overseas processing and applicable identity, security, and other checks may still be required.

The Department of State explains the processing steps for beneficiaries of approved I-730 petitions who are referred for overseas processing.

Parents should follow the instructions provided by USCIS and the relevant U.S. government office handling the child's case.

11. What if the parent misses the two-year filing deadline?

The general filing deadline for a principal asylee is two years from the date asylum was granted.

However, USCIS may extend the filing period for humanitarian reasons in qualifying cases.

If a parent has missed the deadline, they should not automatically assume that there is no possible remedy.

The parent should review the reason for the delay, gather relevant supporting evidence, and carefully explain the circumstances when requesting an applicable humanitarian extension.

Whether an extension is granted depends on the individual circumstances and USCIS's decision.

12. What should parents do before file?

Before submitting Form I-730, parents should review the following questions:

  • When was asylum granted?

  • When was the original Form I-589 filed?

  • How old was the child on the relevant date?

  • Is the child unmarried?

  • Is the child a biological child, stepchild, or adopted child?

  • Was the child included in the original asylum application?

  • Is the child currently inside or outside the United States?

  • Is there any existing immigration case involving the child?

  • Are the supporting documents consistent and complete?

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Can I bring my son or daughter to the USA after receiving asylum?

Yes, if your child qualifies for derivative asylum benefits. A principal asylee may generally file Form I-730 for an eligible unmarried child who meets the applicable age requirements.

Can I file I-730 for each of my children?

Yes. A separate Form I-730 is generally required for each qualifying child.

Can I bring my child if they are living abroad?

Yes. An eligible child living abroad may qualify for following-to-join asylum benefits, subject to petition approval and the required overseas processing.

What if my child turns 21 while my asylum case is pending?

The Child Status Protection Act may protect certain children from aging out. Eligibility depends on the applicable rules and the specific facts of the case.

Can I file I-730 after two years?

The general deadline is two years from the date asylum was granted. USCIS may extend the deadline for humanitarian reasons in qualifying circumstances.

Can I bring a married child through Form I-730?

Generally, no. The ordinary I-730 derivative child category requires the child to be unmarried. Other immigration options may depend on the parent's status and the child's circumstances.

Conclusion

Yes, an asylee may be able to bring qualifying children to the United States through the derivative asylum process.

For children living abroad, Form I-730 is generally the principal route for following-to-join benefits. However, eligibility depends on the child's relationship to the parent, age, marital status, relevant filing dates, and the parent's immigration status.

The two-year filing deadline and the Child Status Protection Act are particularly important considerations. Parents should review these requirements carefully, especially when a child is approaching or has already turned 21.

Family reunification cases can involve complicated immigration rules, so obtaining qualified legal assistance may help parents understand their options and prepare the necessary documentation.

Legal Disclaimer

This article is provided for general informational and educational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. U.S. immigration law and agency procedures may change, and eligibility depends on the facts of each case. Consult a qualified U.S. immigration attorney or accredited representative for advice about your individual circumstances.

Comments

Petitioners Legal Guide

Sonam Wangchuk Hunger Strike 2026: Why He Fasted, What Happened and What Changed

Inside a Federal Court Hearing: What Pro Se Litigants Should Know Before Appearing

How Do You Argue a Case in Court?

What Evidence Is Strongest in an Asylum Case? A Practical Guide for U.S. Applicants