Can an Asylee Petition for Parents?
Receiving asylum in the United States can be a major step toward safety and stability. Many asylees, however, have an important question after their case is approved: Can an asylee petition for parents to come to the United States?
The short answer is generally no—not through Form I-730.
U.S. immigration law gives a principal asylee a special family-reunification process, but that process is limited. A principal asylee may generally use Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition, to petition for a qualifying spouse and unmarried children under 21. Parents are not included among the relatives who qualify for an I-730 petition.
That does not necessarily mean an asylee can never bring their parents to the United States. The immigration options can change after the asylee becomes a lawful permanent resident and, eventually, a U.S. citizen.
Can an Asylee File Form I-730 for a Parent?
No. Form I-730 is not available for parents.
USCIS specifically identifies the eligible relatives for an asylee's following-to-join benefits as the asylee's spouse and unmarried children under 21, subject to the applicable requirements. The current Form I-730 instructions do not list parents as eligible beneficiaries.
The same basic limitation appears in the asylum statute. Section 208(b)(3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides derivative asylum benefits for a spouse or child of a person granted asylum. Parents are not included in that provision.
Therefore, an asylee generally cannot submit Form I-730 simply because the person is the asylee's mother or father.
Why Can an Asylee Petition for a Spouse or Child but Not a Parent?
The I-730 process is a specific humanitarian family-reunification benefit created for qualifying derivative family members.
For an eligible principal asylee, the process can be used for a qualifying spouse and unmarried child under 21. USCIS states that the relationship generally must satisfy the applicable requirements and that the I-730 petition normally must be filed within two years of the grant of asylum, although USCIS may allow an exception for humanitarian reasons.
Parents are outside that category.
This is important because people sometimes assume that receiving asylum creates a general right to sponsor every close family member. It does not. The I-730 program has a specifically defined list of qualifying relatives.
What If the Parent Is Already in the United States?
A parent's physical presence in the United States does not by itself make the parent eligible for Form I-730.
If the parent is in the United States, the correct immigration option depends on the parent's individual circumstances, including how the parent entered the country, current immigration status, any prior immigration history, and whether another immigration category is available.
An asylee should therefore avoid filing an I-730 for a parent simply because the parent is already physically present in the United States.
What Happens After an Asylee Gets a Green Card?
The situation can change after an asylee becomes a lawful permanent resident.
An individual who obtains permanent residence through asylum may eventually become eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship if the applicable naturalization requirements are satisfied.
Once the person becomes a U.S. citizen and is at least 21 years old, the immigration rules provide a separate family-based petition category for parents.
USCIS identifies parents of U.S. citizens who are at least 21 years old as immediate relatives. A U.S. citizen can generally begin the process by filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for the parent.
This is fundamentally different from Form I-730.
I-730 vs. I-130 for Parents
It is useful to keep these two forms separate.
Form I-730:
Used by eligible principal refugees and asylees for qualifying spouses and children. Parents do not qualify under the I-730 family category.
Form I-130:
A U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old may generally file for a parent. Parents of U.S. citizens are classified as immediate relatives, meaning immigrant visas are not subject to the numerical preference-category waiting lists that apply to many other family relationships.
So, for many asylees, the long-term path for bringing parents to the United States is not I-730. It may instead involve becoming a U.S. citizen and then filing an I-130 for each qualifying parent.
Can a Green Card Holder Petition for Parents?
Generally, no.
A lawful permanent resident does not have the same parent-petitioning category available to a U.S. citizen.
USCIS's family-based categories allow lawful permanent residents to petition for certain spouses and children, while parents are included among the relatives that a qualifying U.S. citizen may petition for.
Therefore, an asylee who has obtained a Green Card should not assume that permanent resident status by itself allows the person to file an I-130 for a parent.
Can a U.S. Citizen Asylee Petition for Parents?
Yes, if the person has become a U.S. citizen and is at least 21 years old, the person may generally petition for a qualifying parent through the family-based immigration process.
USCIS states that a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 may petition for parents and that parents of U.S. citizens are immediate relatives.
The petition does not automatically give the parent a Green Card. An approved I-130 establishes the qualifying family relationship, but the parent must still complete the appropriate immigrant-visa or adjustment-of-status process and satisfy the applicable immigration requirements.
Is There a Separate Petition for the Mother and Father?
Yes.
If a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 wants to petition for both parents, a separate Form I-130 generally must be filed for each parent.
For example, if an adult U.S. citizen wants to immigrate both their mother and father, the petitioner generally submits one petition for the mother and another petition for the father. USCIS specifically explains that separate petitions are required for each direct relative in the relevant family categories.
What If the Parent Is Outside the United States?
If the parent is outside the United States and the U.S. citizen's I-130 is approved, the case can generally proceed through the immigrant-visa process.
The parent must still complete the required immigration procedures, including the applicable documentation, background checks, medical examination and consular processing requirements.
An approved I-130 is therefore an important step, but it is not itself an immigrant visa or Green Card.
What If the Parent Is Already in the United States?
If the parent is already in the United States, adjustment of status may be possible in some circumstances after a U.S. citizen child files the appropriate petition.
USCIS explains that parents of U.S. citizens are immediate relatives and that, where the requirements are met, immediate relatives may generally file Form I-485 without waiting for a visa number to become available.
However, being the parent of a U.S. citizen does not automatically guarantee adjustment of status. Entry history, immigration violations, inadmissibility issues, prior removal proceedings, fraud or misrepresentation, criminal history and other facts can materially affect eligibility.
A parent with a complicated immigration history should have the individual case reviewed before filing.
What About a Parent Who Has an Asylum Case?
A parent's own asylum case is legally separate from the child's asylum status.
For example, if an adult child receives asylum in the United States, the child's asylum approval does not automatically give the child's parent asylum status.
Similarly, the parent does not become a derivative asylee simply because the child is a principal asylee. The derivative asylum provisions are directed to qualifying spouses and children.
If a parent independently fears persecution or serious harm in the parent's country, the parent may need to consider whether the parent independently qualifies for asylum or another form of protection. That would be a separate legal analysis.
What If the Asylee Has Not Yet Become a U.S. Citizen?
If the person has asylum status but is not yet a U.S. citizen, the person generally cannot use Form I-730 to petition for parents.
The person may eventually become eligible for naturalization after meeting the applicable requirements. Once U.S. citizenship is obtained, and the citizen is at least 21 years old, the parent-petition category becomes available.
Because naturalization eligibility depends on the person's individual immigration history, including the date permanent residence began and other statutory requirements, the exact eligibility date should be checked before filing.
Does the Two-Year I-730 Deadline Apply to Parents?
The two-year I-730 filing period does not create a special parent-petition deadline because parents are not eligible I-730 beneficiaries in the first place.
The two-year rule is relevant to qualifying spouses and children of principal refugees or asylees. USCIS states that an I-730 generally must be filed within two years after the refugee's admission or the asylee's grant of asylum, subject to a possible humanitarian exception.
Therefore, an asylee should not think that the two-year I-730 deadline means a parent must be included within that period.
Does Getting Asylum Automatically Give the Right to Bring Parents?
No.
An asylum grant provides important immigration protection, but it does not create an unlimited family sponsorship benefit.
For immediate family reunification under the asylum system, the relevant derivative family members are generally a qualifying spouse and unmarried children under 21. Parents are not included in the I-730 category.
For parents, the commonly relevant family-based route may become available later if the asylee becomes a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old.
A Simple Example
Consider this example:
Maria is granted asylum in the United States. Her mother remains outside the United States.
Maria cannot normally file Form I-730 for her mother because parents are not qualifying I-730 beneficiaries.
Maria later obtains lawful permanent residence and eventually becomes a U.S. citizen. After becoming a U.S. citizen and reaching age 21, Maria may generally file Form I-130 for her mother.
If Maria's father also needs to immigrate, she generally files a separate I-130 for him.
The exact process after the I-130 depends on whether each parent is inside or outside the United States and whether there are any immigration or admissibility issues.
Important Documents for a Future Parent Petition
When a U.S. citizen eventually petitions for a parent, evidence will normally be needed to establish the qualifying parent-child relationship and the petitioner's U.S. citizenship.
Depending on the family circumstances, relevant evidence may include:
The petitioner's U.S. birth certificate;
Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship;
Valid U.S. passport;
The parent's birth certificate;
Documents establishing the parent-child relationship;
Marriage or divorce records where relevant; and
Other evidence requested by USCIS.
The exact evidence depends on the relationship and the petitioner's circumstances. USCIS requires evidence establishing the qualifying family relationship.
Conclusion
An asylee generally cannot petition for parents through Form I-730.
Form I-730 is designed for qualifying family members of principal refugees and asylees, primarily a qualifying spouse and unmarried children under 21. Parents are not included in this category.
However, the situation can change later. After an asylee becomes a U.S. citizen and is at least 21 years old, the citizen may generally file Form I-130 for a parent. Parents of qualifying U.S. citizens are classified as immediate relatives under the family-based immigration system.
For that reason, an asylee who wants to reunite with parents should distinguish between the I-730 route available to certain spouses and children and the I-130 parent petition available to qualifying U.S. citizens.
Immigration cases can become complicated when a parent has a prior removal order, unlawful presence, criminal history, immigration fraud or misrepresentation, an asylum case, or another immigration problem. In those situations, the correct strategy depends on the individual facts and should be reviewed carefully before filing.
Sources
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition and Instructions.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), information concerning family members of refugees and asylees.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Form I-130 instructions and family-based petition guidance.
8 U.S.C. § 1158, asylum and derivative spouse/child provisions.
8 C.F.R. § 208.21, admission of an asylee's spouse and children.
Legal Disclaimer
This article is provided for general informational and educational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. U.S. immigration law and USCIS procedures can change, and individual cases may involve facts that substantially affect eligibility. Readers should verify current requirements with USCIS and, when appropriate, consult a qualified U.S. immigration attorney or accredited representative before filing an immigration petition or application.

Comments
Post a Comment
Comment should be in the form of message and helpful to the viewers