Do You Need an Appointment to Get an I-94 After Asylum Is Granted?
Winning an asylum case can feel like the end of a very long journey. But after the immigration judge or USCIS grants asylum, many people immediately have another question:
“Do I need to make an appointment with USCIS to get my Form I-94?”
The short answer is: usually, no—not automatically.
USCIS has updated its procedures for people who are granted asylum by an immigration judge or the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA). When the asylum decision becomes administratively final, USCIS generally creates and mails the documentation of asylum, including a Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record with an asylum stamp, without requiring the person to appear at a USCIS field office.
However, there are important exceptions. If the documentation does not arrive, USCIS may require additional action and, depending on the circumstances, may schedule an in-person appointment.
This guide explains what happens after an asylum grant, when an appointment may be necessary, and what you should do if your I-94 never arrives.
What Is Form I-94 After an Asylum Grant?
Form I-94 is the Arrival/Departure Record used by U.S. immigration authorities.
For a person granted asylum through immigration court, the I-94 can serve as important evidence of the person's asylee status when it contains the appropriate asylum stamp.
USCIS specifically states that when an immigration judge or the BIA grants asylum and the decision becomes administratively final, the person will receive a Form I-94 with an asylum stamp as documentation of the grant.
The I-94 is therefore much more than an ordinary travel record in this situation. It can become an important immigration document showing that the person has been granted asylum.
USCIS also recognizes several forms of evidence for an asylee, including a stamped Form I-94 indicating asylee status, a USCIS asylum approval letter, or an immigration judge's order granting asylum.
Do You Need to Make a USCIS Appointment?
In most cases, no.
If your asylum was granted by an immigration judge and the decision has become administratively final, USCIS's current procedure is generally to process and mail your documentation without requiring you to independently schedule an appointment.
USCIS says that it typically provides documentation of asylum without additional action by the individual, such as appearing in person at a USCIS field office.
That means you generally should not assume that you must immediately schedule an appointment simply because the immigration judge granted your asylum case.
Instead, the first step is to determine whether the decision is administratively final and then allow USCIS the applicable processing period.
What Does “Administratively Final” Mean?
This is an important part of the process.
An immigration judge may announce that asylum is granted, but the case may not immediately be administratively final.
For example, an appeal may still be possible.
USCIS's post-order instructions distinguish between cases where the grant is administratively final and cases where the order is not yet final. If the asylum decision is not administratively final, USCIS states that the person will not receive the Form I-94 documentation of asylum at that time.
Therefore, the question is not simply:
“Did the judge grant me asylum?”
You also need to ask:
“Has the asylum grant become administratively final?”
That distinction can affect when USCIS issues the documentation.
What Happens After the Asylum Decision Becomes Final?
Once an immigration judge or BIA asylum grant becomes administratively final, USCIS generally processes the documentation.
For a person granted asylum, USCIS states that the documentation includes a Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record with an asylum stamp.
The current USCIS guidance says that individuals generally do not need to take additional action or appear personally at a field office to receive the documentation.
Instead, USCIS will generally mail the documents to the address associated with the case.
This makes your mailing address extremely important.
What If You Moved After Your Immigration Court Case?
This is one of the situations that can cause problems.
If you moved after the immigration judge or BIA issued the final decision, USCIS may send the documentation to the address it has on record.
USCIS specifically instructs people who have moved after a final immigration court or BIA decision to follow its address-change procedures.
So, if you are waiting for your I-94 and you recently moved, do not simply assume that the document is lost.
First make sure your address information has been properly updated with the appropriate agency.
An address problem can turn a straightforward mailing process into a much longer delay.
What If 45 Days Have Passed and You Still Have No I-94?
This is where the answer changes.
USCIS currently instructs people who were granted asylum by an immigration judge or the BIA to wait at least 45 days after the order becomes administratively final before contacting the USCIS Contact Center about missing documentation.
If 45 days have passed and you still have not received your asylum documentation, you can contact USCIS and request assistance.
USCIS says you should be prepared to provide information such as:
Your full name
Your A-Number
Your date of birth
Your current address
The date of the immigration judge's or BIA's order
The immigration benefit you received
Whether the order is final
USCIS can then review the situation.
Depending on the circumstances, USCIS may mail the documentation or schedule an in-person appointment if one is necessary.
So When Would You Actually Need an Appointment?
An appointment may become necessary when USCIS determines that the matter cannot be resolved simply by processing or mailing the documentation.
USCIS's current appointment system includes an “Immigration Judge (IJ) Grant” appointment category. USCIS also states that people can request an appointment when they need a service that cannot be handled through other methods.
The important point is this:
You should not assume that an appointment is required merely because an immigration judge granted asylum.
The current USCIS process generally attempts to provide the documentation without an unnecessary field-office visit.
If USCIS determines that you need to appear personally, however, it can arrange an appointment.
What Should You Bring If USCIS Gives You an Appointment?
If USCIS schedules you for an in-person appointment concerning documentation of an immigration judge's asylum grant, it is sensible to take your relevant immigration records.
These may include:
A copy of the immigration judge's asylum order
Any BIA decision, if applicable
Your passport or identity document, if available
Your A-Number
USCIS notices
Previous immigration documents
Any correspondence concerning the missing I-94
Evidence of your current address
USCIS's post-order instructions specifically state that if you are scheduled for an in-person appointment, you should bring a copy of the order granting asylum.
Follow the specific instructions contained in your USCIS appointment notice because the documents requested can vary depending on the circumstances.
What If You Already Have an I-94?
If you already received the Form I-94 containing the appropriate asylum documentation, you generally do not need to make another appointment simply to obtain another copy unless there is a specific problem with the document.
The situation is different if the I-94 contains an error, is missing, or does not accurately reflect the asylum grant.
In those circumstances, contacting USCIS for guidance may be appropriate.
Can You Work After Asylum Is Granted Without the I-94?
An important point is that the I-94 is not necessarily the only document that can establish asylee status for immigration purposes.
For example, USCIS's current Form I-765 instructions explain that a person applying for an employment authorization document in the asylee category may submit evidence such as a stamped Form I-94, a USCIS asylum approval letter, or an immigration judge's order granting asylum.
That does not mean that every employer, agency, or immigration process will treat every document identically.
If you are completing Form I-9, applying for an immigration benefit, traveling internationally, or dealing with another government agency, carefully check what evidence is required for that particular purpose.
What Is the Difference Between an Immigration Judge Grant and a USCIS Asylum Grant?
This distinction is extremely important.
There are two common situations:
1. USCIS grants affirmative asylum
USCIS's Asylum Office can grant asylum to an applicant through the affirmative asylum process. USCIS's asylum procedures manual describes an asylum approval package that includes an asylum approval letter and an I-94 card endorsed with an asylum approval stamp.
2. An immigration judge grants asylum
A person in removal proceedings may receive asylum from an immigration judge. Once the decision becomes administratively final, USCIS handles the documentation process and states that the person will receive a Form I-94 with an asylum stamp.
Because the procedures are not identical, it is important to know who granted your asylum before following advice found online.
Do Not Rely on Old “InfoPass” Advice
People searching online may find older USCIS materials discussing InfoPass appointments for individuals who needed an I-94 after an immigration judge granted asylum.
Those materials existed under earlier procedures.
For example, an older USCIS stakeholder document described a process under which the Contact Center could make an InfoPass appointment for someone who needed an I-94 after an immigration judge granted asylum.
But USCIS's current published guidance has changed the process.
The current USCIS guidance says that, in most cases, documentation is created and mailed without requiring an in-person appearance, and that individuals should wait 45 days after the decision becomes administratively final before contacting USCIS about missing documentation.
This is why people should be careful when relying on old immigration forum posts, videos, or articles.
A Simple Example
Imagine that an immigration judge grants Maria asylum.
The judge's decision eventually becomes administratively final.
Maria does not immediately receive an I-94.
Should she make a USCIS appointment the next morning?
Generally, no.
Under the current USCIS procedure, she should first allow USCIS time to process and mail the documentation.
If 45 days have passed since the decision became administratively final and Maria still has not received her documentation, she can contact USCIS and provide the requested information.
USCIS can investigate the issue and determine whether the document should be mailed or whether an in-person appointment is necessary.
What Should You Do If Your I-94 Is Missing?
If you have been granted asylum by an immigration judge or the BIA, a practical checklist is:
Step 1: Confirm the date your asylum decision became administratively final.
Step 2: Make sure your mailing address is correct.
Step 3: Wait at least 45 days after the decision became administratively final.
Step 4: If you still have not received the documentation, contact USCIS.
Step 5: Have your A-Number, personal information, order date, benefit type, and final-order information available.
Step 6: Follow whatever instructions USCIS gives you.
Step 7: If USCIS schedules an appointment, bring the asylum order and other requested documents.
This approach is generally more appropriate than simply appearing at a USCIS office without an appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I automatically need a USCIS appointment after winning asylum?
No. If an immigration judge or the BIA granted asylum and the decision is administratively final, USCIS generally mails the documentation without requiring an in-person appointment.
What I-94 do asylees receive after an immigration judge grants asylum?
USCIS states that an asylee with an administratively final immigration-court grant receives a Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, with an asylum stamp.
How long should I wait before contacting USCIS about a missing I-94?
USCIS currently says to wait at least 45 days after the asylum order becomes administratively final before contacting the USCIS Contact Center about missing documentation.
Can USCIS require me to appear in person?
Yes. If USCIS determines that an in-person visit is necessary, it may schedule an appointment.
What if my immigration judge's asylum decision is not final?
USCIS's post-order instructions state that documentation of asylum, including the Form I-94, is not issued at that time when the decision is not administratively final.
Is the immigration judge's asylum order important if I do not have my I-94 yet?
Yes. Keep a secure copy of the order. USCIS recognizes an immigration judge's order granting asylum as evidence that may be used in connection with certain immigration processes, including an asylee Form I-765 filing.
Conclusion
You generally do not need to make a USCIS appointment simply because an immigration judge has granted you asylum.
Under USCIS's current procedure, when an immigration judge or the BIA grants asylum and the decision becomes administratively final, USCIS generally creates and mails the documentation, including the Form I-94 with an asylum stamp.
If the documentation has not arrived after 45 days, USCIS says you should contact the USCIS Contact Center and request assistance. USCIS may then mail the documents or schedule an in-person appointment if necessary.
The most important lesson is simple: do not confuse an asylum grant with an automatic appointment requirement. The current USCIS process is designed to avoid unnecessary field-office visits.
Immigration procedures can change, and individual cases can have complications. If your case involves an appeal, a disputed final order, detention, a missing or incorrect immigration document, or another unusual circumstance, consider obtaining advice from a qualified U.S. immigration attorney or accredited representative.
Disclaimer
This article is provided for general educational and informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Immigration law and USCIS procedures can change, and the correct procedure can depend on the facts of an individual case. Always verify current requirements with USCIS, EOIR, or a qualified immigration attorney before taking action in your case.

Comments
Post a Comment
Comment should be in the form of message and helpful to the viewers