How Does an Asylee File Form I-730? A Step-by-Step Guide to Family Reunification

Asylee preparing Form I-730 for U.S. family reunification.

Bringing your family to the United States after receiving asylum

Receiving asylum in the United States can be an important step towards safety and stability. For many asylees, the next priority is helping their spouse and children join them.

U.S. immigration law provides a process known as following-to-join benefits. Through Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition, an eligible principal asylee can ask the U.S. government to grant derivative asylee status to qualifying family members.

However, filing this petition involves more than completing a form. You must meet the eligibility requirements, establish the qualifying family relationship, submit supporting evidence, and respond to any further requests from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

This guide explains how an asylee can file Form I-730, what documents are generally needed, and what happens after submission.

1. What Is Form I-730?

Form I-730 is officially called the Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition. It allows certain principal refugees and principal asylees to petition for eligible family members to receive derivative refugee or asylee status.

For an asylee, this process is commonly called following-to-join asylum.

The petition is intended to reunite qualifying families. It is not a general family-based immigration petition, and it does not automatically provide immigration benefits to every relative.

Official information is available on the USCIS Form I-730 page.

2. Who Can File Form I-730?

Generally, you may file Form I-730 if you:

  • Were granted asylum in the United States as the principal asylum applicant.

  • Are petitioning for a qualifying spouse or child.

  • Meet the applicable relationship and filing-deadline requirements.

  • Provide the required form and supporting evidence.

A principal asylee is the person whose own asylum application resulted in the grant of asylum. Someone who received derivative asylum through another person's case generally cannot file Form I-730 as a principal asylee merely because they have asylum status.

A person who obtained lawful permanent residence after being granted asylum may also qualify under applicable rules, provided the other requirements are met.

Important: If you received asylum through your spouse or parent, do not assume you can file an I-730 for your own family. Your immigration history and the legal basis of your status matter.

3. Which Family Members Can an Asylee Petition For?

An eligible principal asylee may generally petition for:

A. A spouse

A legally qualifying spouse may be eligible for following-to-join asylum benefits. The marriage must satisfy the applicable requirements, including the requirement that the qualifying relationship existed when asylum was granted and continues to exist.

B. Unmarried children

An eligible principal asylee may petition for qualifying unmarried children. This can include biological children and certain other legally recognised parent-child relationships, subject to immigration law.

A child's age, marital status, relationship to the principal asylee, and the relevant dates can affect eligibility.

Special rules under the Child Status Protection Act may preserve a child's classification in certain circumstances. Therefore, a child who is approaching 21 or has already turned 21 should receive an individual eligibility assessment rather than being automatically treated as ineligible.

Separate petitions: A separate Form I-730 is generally required for each family member.

For example, if you are petitioning for your spouse and two eligible children, you generally need three separate petitions.

4. What Is the Two-Year Filing Deadline?

One of the most important requirements is the filing deadline.

Generally, a principal asylee must file Form I-730 within two years of being granted asylum.

This deadline is important because waiting too long can create additional legal issues. USCIS may waive the two-year deadline for humanitarian reasons, but a waiver is not automatic.

If you cannot file within the required period, you should explain the circumstances and provide supporting evidence for the waiver request in accordance with the current form instructions.

Do not assume that a pending green card application, a pending immigration court case, or a family member's location outside the United States automatically extends the I-730 filing deadline.

Before filing, carefully check the date of your asylum grant and the applicable deadline.

5. Documents Required for Form I-730

The documents needed depend on whether you are petitioning for a spouse or child, the beneficiary's location, and the circumstances of your case.

The following is a practical preparation checklist. Always compare it with the current USCIS form instructions.

GENERAL DOCUMENT CHECKLIST

  • Completed Form I-730 for each qualifying relative.

  • Evidence of your principal asylee status, such as your asylum approval documentation or relevant immigration records.

  • Evidence establishing the qualifying family relationship.

  • Required photograph of each beneficiary, following the applicable USCIS instructions.

  • Copies of identity and civil documents relevant to the relationship.

  • English translations of documents issued in another language, with the required translator certification.

  • Additional evidence addressing any unusual circumstances, missing records, name discrepancies, or questions about the relationship.

Documents for a spouse

Depending on your circumstances, evidence may include:

  • Marriage certificate.

  • Evidence that any previous marriages were legally terminated.

  • Documents explaining any legal name changes.

  • Other evidence requested to establish the validity and continuity of the marital relationship.

Documents for a child

Depending on the parent-child relationship, evidence may include:

  • Child's birth certificate.

  • Documents identifying the child's parents.

  • Adoption or other relevant legal records, if applicable.

  • Evidence addressing any differences in names or dates.

  • Additional records requested by USCIS to establish eligibility.

If a civil document is unavailable, the current USCIS instructions explain when secondary evidence or affidavits may be appropriate. Simply stating that a document is unavailable may not be enough; explain the circumstances and provide the best available evidence.

Do not send original documents unless USCIS specifically requires them.

6. How to Complete Form I-730

Read the complete instructions before filling out the petition. Use the edition accepted by USCIS at the time you file.

The following steps provide a general overview.

Step 1: Download the official form

Visit the USCIS Form I-730 page and obtain the form and its instructions.

Check the edition date and filing requirements before preparing your submission.

Step 2: Identify the correct petitioner and beneficiary

The petitioner is the eligible principal asylee.

The beneficiary is the qualifying spouse or child for whom you are requesting derivative asylum benefits.

Make sure you select the correct relationship category and enter the beneficiary's information accurately.

Step 3: Complete the petition carefully

Provide the requested personal, immigration, family, and contact information.

Check names, dates of birth, marriage dates, addresses, and immigration details against the supporting records.

If a question does not apply, follow the form instructions for answering it. Do not leave required fields incomplete or guess at information you do not know.

Step 4: Explain any special circumstances

If you are requesting a humanitarian waiver of the two-year filing deadline, explain why you could not file within the required period and provide relevant evidence.

Other unusual circumstances may also require a clear explanation and supporting documentation.

Step 5: Sign the petition

Review the signature requirements for the current edition of Form I-730.

An unsigned or improperly completed petition may be rejected or delayed.

Step 6: Assemble the supporting documents

Organise the petition and supporting evidence so that USCIS can understand who is filing, which relative is being petitioned for, and how the eligibility requirements are met.

Keep a complete copy of the entire filing package for your records.

7. Where Should You Send Form I-730?

Form I-730 is filed with USCIS in the United States. The correct filing location is determined by USCIS's current instructions and can change.

Before mailing your petition, check the official Form I-730 filing page for the current mailing address and any special filing instructions.

Do not rely solely on an old address copied from an online article, social media post, or previously prepared form.

Use a mailing method that allows you to keep proof of delivery. Save the tracking information and a copy of everything you submit.

8. Is There a Filing Fee for Form I-730?

The U.S. Department of State's official follow-to-join guidance states that there is no fee to file Form I-730 and no fee to schedule the I-730 beneficiary interview.

However, other expenses may arise depending on the circumstances, such as obtaining civil documents, translations, travel, or medical examinations where applicable.

Check the official instructions and the relevant agency's guidance before paying anyone who claims a government filing fee is required.

9. What Happens After You File Form I-730?

After USCIS receives the petition, the case goes through processing. The precise steps depend on the petitioner's status, the beneficiary's location, and the circumstances of the case.

Stage 1: Receipt and initial review

USCIS receives the petition and begins processing it. Keep your receipt notice and use the receipt number to check the case status.

Stage 2: Review of eligibility and evidence

USCIS reviews the petition and supporting documents to determine whether the petitioner and beneficiary meet the applicable requirements.

USCIS may request additional evidence or information if it needs clarification or further documentation.

Stage 3: Interview or additional processing, if required

Depending on the case, USCIS may arrange an interview or request further information.

The beneficiary may need to participate in an interview or complete other processing steps.

Stage 4: Decision and next steps

If the petition is approved, the next steps depend on whether the beneficiary is inside or outside the United States.

An approval is an important step, but it does not mean that every remaining immigration or travel requirement has automatically been completed.

10. What If Your Spouse or Child Is Outside the United States?

If USCIS approves the petition for a beneficiary abroad, the case may be transferred for further processing through the appropriate U.S. government office.

Depending on the case, the beneficiary may receive instructions concerning:

  • Contact with the National Visa Center or the relevant processing office.

  • Interview arrangements.

  • Required identity and civil documents.

  • Medical examination and other applicable requirements.

  • Travel and admission procedures.

The U.S. Department of State provides an official explanation of the overseas process in its Follow-to-Join Refugees and Asylees guidance.

Do not make non-refundable travel arrangements before the appropriate authorities confirm that the beneficiary is authorized to travel.

11. What If Your Family Member Is Already in the United States?

A qualifying relative who is already in the United States may still be considered for following-to-join benefits, subject to the applicable requirements.

The processing steps may differ from those for a beneficiary living abroad.

If your spouse or child is in immigration court proceedings, has a pending asylum application, or has another immigration status, the consequences of filing or approval should be evaluated in light of that person's specific circumstances.

Do not assume that an I-730 automatically terminates removal proceedings, grants employment authorisation, or provides permanent resident status.

12. What If USCIS Sends a Request for Evidence?

USCIS may issue a Request for Evidence (RFE) when it needs additional information or documentation.

If you receive an RFE:

  1. Read the entire notice carefully.

  2. Identify each document or explanation USCIS requests.

  3. Check the response deadline.

  4. Gather the requested evidence and prepare a clear response.

  5. Submit the response according to the notice's instructions.

A response should address the actual questions raised by USCIS. Sending unrelated documents without explaining their relevance may not resolve the issue.

If the request concerns the validity of a marriage, a child's legal relationship, missing civil records, or a filing deadline, consider obtaining qualified immigration legal assistance.

13. Common Mistakes to Avoid

Applicants can reduce avoidable problems by paying close attention to the following:

Missing the two-year deadline. Check the date of your asylum grant and assess any possible humanitarian waiver before filing late.

Filing as a derivative asylee. Confirm that you are eligible to petition as a principal asylee or under another applicable category.

Using the wrong form edition or filing address. Always check the current USCIS instructions.

Submitting incomplete relationship evidence. Make sure the documents establish the relevant relationship and address any discrepancies.

Providing inconsistent information. Names, dates, addresses, and family details should be accurate and consistent, with explanations for legitimate differences.

Assuming approval guarantees immediate travel. Beneficiaries abroad may still need to complete additional processing.

Ignoring USCIS notices. Keep your contact information current and respond to notices within the stated deadlines.

14. Can an Asylee File Form I-730 After Getting a Green Card?

In certain circumstances, yes.

A person who obtained lawful permanent resident status based on a previous grant of asylum may remain eligible to file an I-730, provided the applicable requirements are met.

However, becoming a permanent resident does not necessarily restart the two-year filing period. The relevant dates and the legal basis for permanent residence should be reviewed carefully.

If you have already become a U.S. citizen, the available family petition process may be different. USCIS explains that previously filed I-730 petitions may continue to be processed in certain circumstances, while a U.S. citizen may also have family-based petition options.

Review your individual circumstances before choosing a filing route.

15. Frequently Asked Questions

Can I file Form I-730 for my spouse and children together?

You may petition for qualifying family members, but a separate Form I-730 is generally required for each beneficiary.

Can I file Form I-730 if my spouse is living in another country?

Yes, a qualifying spouse may be eligible even when living outside the United States. Overseas processing requirements will apply if the petition is approved.

Can I file Form I-730 more than two years after receiving asylum?

A humanitarian waiver of the two-year deadline may be available in appropriate circumstances. USCIS makes the determination based on the applicable requirements and the explanation and evidence submitted.

Does Form I-730 automatically give my family a green card?

No. Form I-730 is a petition for derivative refugee or asylee status. It is not itself an application for lawful permanent residence.

Does my family member need an interview?

An interview or additional processing may be required depending on the case and the beneficiary's location. Follow the instructions issued by the responsible agency.

How long does Form I-730 take?

Processing times vary. The overseas stage can also involve additional steps, and the Department of State explains that the time required depends on the circumstances of the case. Avoid relying on an estimated timeline unless it comes from current, case-relevant official information.

Conclusion

Form I-730 provides an important legal pathway for eligible principal asylees seeking to reunite with their qualifying spouse or children.

The key steps are to confirm eligibility, check the two-year filing deadline, prepare the correct form for each family member, submit reliable relationship evidence, and follow all USCIS instructions.

If your case involves a late filing, a child approaching age 21, missing civil documents, a complicated marriage history, or pending immigration court proceedings, careful legal review may help you understand the available options and avoid preventable mistakes.

Legal Disclaimer

This article is for general educational and informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Immigration laws, agency procedures, and filing instructions may change. Eligibility and outcomes depend on individual circumstances. Consult a qualified U.S. immigration attorney or accredited representative for advice about your case.

Comments

Petitioners Legal Guide

Sonam Wangchuk Hunger Strike 2026: Why He Fasted, What Happened and What Changed

Inside a Federal Court Hearing: What Pro Se Litigants Should Know Before Appearing

How Do You Argue a Case in Court?

What Evidence Is Strongest in an Asylum Case? A Practical Guide for U.S. Applicants