How Long After Asylum Is Granted Do You Receive an I-94?
“When will I receive my I-94?”
The answer is not necessarily the same day as the court decision.
If an Immigration Judge grants asylum, USCIS generally issues and mails a Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, with an asylum stamp after the asylum decision becomes administratively final. USCIS currently advises people to allow at least 45 days after the decision becomes administratively final before contacting USCIS about missing documentation. (USCIS)
That means there are actually two important dates to understand: the date the judge grants asylum and the date the decision becomes final.
What Is an I-94 After Asylum Is Granted?
Form I-94 is an important immigration document. For someone granted asylum through Immigration Court, USCIS states that the documentation of asylum status is generally a Form I-94 with an asylum stamp once the decision is administratively final. (USCIS)
The I-94 is important because it provides documentation of your asylee status.
You should keep it safely with your other immigration records.
Is the I-94 Issued Immediately After the Judge Grants Asylum?
Usually, you should not expect the I-94 to arrive immediately after the Immigration Judge announces the asylum grant.
There is an appeal period following an Immigration Judge's decision. EOIR states that an appeal generally must be received by the Board of Immigration Appeals within 30 calendar days after the Immigration Judge renders an oral decision or sends a written decision. If the right to appeal is waived, the decision can become final without waiting for the full appeal period. (Department of Justice)
This is why the phrase “administratively final” is so important.
The 45-day USCIS processing guidance is tied to the date the decision becomes administratively final, not simply the day the judge says, “asylum granted.” (USCIS)
A Simple Example
Imagine that an Immigration Judge grants asylum on September 10.
If the decision is not immediately final because the appeal period has not yet ended, the 45-day USCIS waiting period does not simply start on September 10.
If the decision becomes administratively final later, you generally count the USCIS 45-day period from that finality date.
The exact calculation can depend on what happened in court, including whether either side waived appeal or whether an appeal was filed.
What Does “Administratively Final” Mean?
In simple terms, an Immigration Judge's decision becomes administratively final when the appeal process is no longer available or has concluded.
For example, if the parties waive appeal, the decision can become final at that point. If no appeal is filed within the applicable deadline, the Immigration Judge's decision generally becomes final. EOIR confirms that if a party waives the right to appeal or does not timely file the required appeal, the Immigration Judge's decision becomes final. (Department of Justice)
If an appeal is filed, the situation is different because the BIA may need to review the case.
That is why someone who has just won asylum should not automatically assume that their I-94 will arrive 45 days after the hearing date.
When Does USCIS Send the I-94?
USCIS currently says that when an Immigration Judge or the BIA grants asylum and the decision becomes administratively final, USCIS will generally create and mail the documentation of asylum.
For an asylee, that documentation is generally Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, with an asylum stamp. USCIS also says that in most cases the person does not need to take additional action or appear in person at a USCIS field office simply to receive the documentation. (USCIS)
The document is generally mailed to the address provided to the court.
So make sure your mailing address is correct.
What If I Have Not Received My I-94 After 45 Days?
This is one of the most important points for someone waiting for their asylum documentation.
USCIS says that if 45 days have passed since the asylum decision became administratively final and you still have not received your documentation, you can contact the USCIS Contact Center to request it. (USCIS)
The USCIS post-order instructions provide the same 45-day guidance for people who have been granted asylum by an Immigration Judge or the BIA. (USCIS)
So, if you have been waiting, do not count the 45 days blindly from the date of your asylum hearing. First determine when the decision actually became administratively final.
Do You Need to Schedule a USCIS Appointment?
Not necessarily.
Older immigration information online may suggest that every person granted asylum in Immigration Court must immediately schedule an appointment with USCIS to obtain the I-94.
That is not the current general USCIS procedure.
USCIS says that it will typically create and mail the documentation without requiring an in-person appearance. If 45 days have passed after the decision became administratively final and the documentation has not arrived, USCIS instructs the person to contact the USCIS Contact Center. (USCIS)
In some circumstances, USCIS may provide additional instructions or require an appointment.
What Information Should You Have When Contacting USCIS?
If you need to contact USCIS because your I-94 has not arrived, keep your immigration records nearby.
You should be prepared to provide information about your case, such as your:
Full name
A-Number
Date of birth
Current mailing address
Immigration Court or BIA decision
Date the asylum decision became final
Type of relief granted
USCIS's post-order instructions explain that individuals who have not received their documentation after the applicable 45-day period can contact the USCIS Contact Center. (USCIS)
What If You Moved After Your Asylum Case Was Decided?
This can be a very important issue.
USCIS explains that post-order documentation is generally mailed to the address provided to the court. If you have moved since the final decision, you should make sure your address information is properly updated. (USCIS)
A person who moves and does not properly update their address could potentially miss an important immigration document.
Therefore, after an asylum grant, keep your address information current with the appropriate immigration agencies.
What Should You Do With the I-94 When It Arrives?
Once you receive your I-94, check the document carefully.
Make sure the information appears to belong to you and that the asylum documentation is correct.
Then make several copies and keep the original in a secure location.
It is also a good idea to maintain a digital copy with your other immigration documents.
Your immigration file should ideally contain your:
Immigration Judge's asylum order
I-94
EAD, if applicable
Form I-589
USCIS notices
BIA decision, if there was an appeal
Form I-730 documents, if applicable
Future Green Card documents
These records can become very important when you apply for other immigration benefits.
Does the I-94 Mean I Am an Asylee?
When USCIS issues the I-94 documenting a final asylum grant, it is evidence of the asylum status granted through the immigration proceedings.
USCIS specifically identifies the I-94 with an asylum stamp as the documentation issued for a person whose asylum grant from an Immigration Judge or the BIA has become administratively final. (USCIS)
Your asylum status is therefore not dependent simply on having the physical I-94 in your hands. The underlying legal grant and its finality are important.
Can I Work While Waiting for the I-94?
A person who has been granted asylum has different employment-authorization circumstances from someone whose asylum application is merely pending.
USCIS recognizes employment authorization for people granted asylum, and an asylee may have an Employment Authorization Document reflecting that status.
However, the I-94 and EAD serve different documentary purposes.
If you are already working or preparing to start a job, keep your immigration and employment documents organized and make sure you are using valid documentation for employment verification.
Does Waiting for the I-94 Affect My Green Card Timeline?
This is another common concern.
The I-94 is important documentation, but you should distinguish between the date your asylum was legally granted and the date you physically receive the I-94 in the mail.
Generally, an asylee may apply for lawful permanent residence after meeting the applicable requirements, including the required period of physical presence in the United States after the asylum grant.
Therefore, do not assume that your Green Card eligibility date automatically begins only when the I-94 arrives.
Because Green Card eligibility can depend on the details of your case, it is important to keep the Immigration Judge's order showing the asylum grant date.
What If DHS Appeals the Asylum Grant?
This is an important situation that people sometimes overlook.
An Immigration Judge's decision may be appealed by either the respondent or the Department of Homeland Security, subject to the applicable rules. EOIR states that an appeal from an Immigration Judge decision generally must be received by the BIA within 30 calendar days. (Department of Justice)
If an appeal is filed, the asylum grant may not yet be administratively final.
In that situation, the normal post-order processing for a final asylum grant may not proceed in the same way as it would after a final, unappealed decision.
This is one reason it is important to ask your attorney or representative whether the asylum grant is actually final.
Why Are Some People Waiting Longer Than 45 Days?
The USCIS guidance does not mean that every person will physically receive the I-94 exactly 45 days after finality.
USCIS says to wait at least 45 days before contacting the agency if the documentation has not arrived. (USCIS)
In other words, 45 days is an important point at which you can follow up. It is not necessarily a guaranteed delivery date.
Mailing issues, address problems, case-processing issues, or other administrative circumstances can affect when a document actually arrives.
What If My Lawyer Says My Case Is Final but I Still Have No I-94?
If your attorney confirms that the asylum decision is administratively final and more than 45 days have passed without receiving your documentation, you can follow USCIS's current post-order instructions and contact the USCIS Contact Center. (USCIS)
Keep a copy of your Immigration Judge's order available.
If USCIS needs additional information, having your court documents organized will make the process easier.
I-94 After Asylum: The Important Timeline
The process can be summarized like this:
Immigration Judge grants asylum
↓
Appeal period / appeal issue is resolved
↓
Asylum decision becomes administratively final
↓
USCIS processes the asylum documentation
↓
USCIS generally mails Form I-94 with an asylum stamp
↓
If 45 days have passed after finality and you still have not received it, contact USCIS
This is the simplest way to understand the process.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
One of the biggest mistakes is counting 45 days from the date of the court hearing without checking when the decision became administratively final.
Another mistake is assuming that the I-94 must arrive immediately after the judge grants asylum.
Some people also ignore their mailing address after moving.
Another common problem is throwing away the Immigration Judge's order after receiving the asylum grant.
Don't do that.
The court order is an important part of your permanent immigration records.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long after asylum is granted do I receive my I-94?
USCIS currently says that after an Immigration Judge or BIA asylum decision becomes administratively final, it will generally create and mail the documentation of asylum. If you have not received it after 45 days from the date the decision became administratively final, USCIS says you should contact the USCIS Contact Center. (USCIS)
Is the 45 days counted from the asylum hearing date?
Not necessarily. The important date for USCIS's 45-day guidance is when the asylum decision becomes administratively final. (USCIS)
What I-94 do I receive after asylum is granted in Immigration Court?
USCIS states that an asylee whose decision has become administratively final will receive a Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, with an asylum stamp. (USCIS)
Do I need to visit USCIS to get my I-94?
Generally, no. USCIS says that in most cases it will create and mail the documentation without requiring an in-person appearance. (USCIS)
What if my I-94 does not arrive after 45 days?
If 45 days have passed since the asylum decision became administratively final and you have not received the documentation, USCIS instructs you to contact the USCIS Contact Center. (USCIS)
Can I apply for a Green Card before receiving my I-94?
The date of the asylum grant and the date you receive the physical I-94 are not necessarily the same. Green Card eligibility involves additional requirements, so you should preserve your Immigration Judge's order and determine your eligibility based on the actual asylum grant and applicable rules.
Conclusion
Waiting for your I-94 after winning asylum can be frustrating, especially after spending so much time waiting for the Immigration Court decision itself.
The key thing to remember is that the 45-day USCIS period is generally measured from the date the asylum decision becomes administratively final—not simply from the day the Immigration Judge grants asylum.
Once the decision is final, USCIS generally creates and mails the I-94 documenting the asylum grant. If 45 days have passed and the document still has not arrived, follow USCIS's current post-order instructions and contact the agency.
Keep your Immigration Judge's order, I-94, EAD and other immigration documents carefully. These records can become important for future immigration benefits, including adjustment of status.
Immigration procedures can change, so always check the latest USCIS and EOIR instructions for your particular situation.
Sources
USCIS — Immigration Benefits in EOIR Proceedings
USCIS — Post-Order Instructions for Individuals Granted Relief or Protection
EOIR — Appeal an Immigration Judge's Decision
EOIR — Immigration Court Policy Manual: Individual Calendar Hearing
Disclaimer
This article is for general informational and educational purposes only and is not legal advice. Immigration law and government procedures can change, and individual cases can have different facts and procedural histories. If your asylum decision is being appealed, you have questions about your I-94, or you are preparing to apply for a Green Card or another immigration benefit, consider consulting a qualified U.S. immigration attorney or accredited representative.

Comments
Post a Comment
Comment should be in the form of message and helpful to the viewers