How to Fill Out Form I-130: A Simple Step-by-Step Guide
If you are a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident and want to help a qualifying family member immigrate to the United States, you may have come across Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.
At first glance, Form I-130 can feel intimidating. There are several parts, many questions about the petitioner and beneficiary, and some questions that are easy to misunderstand.
The good news is that the form becomes much easier once you understand what USCIS is actually asking for.
This guide explains how to fill out Form I-130 step by step, what information you should have ready, common mistakes to avoid, and what generally happens after you file.
Important: USCIS periodically updates its forms and filing requirements. Always use the current Form I-130 and the current USCIS instructions when preparing your petition. USCIS currently provides Form I-130 for online filing or paper filing, depending on the circumstances. (USCIS)
What Is Form I-130?
Form I-130 is called the Petition for Alien Relative.
It is used by certain U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents to establish a qualifying family relationship with a relative who may seek an immigrant visa or, when eligible, adjustment of status.
A simple example is a U.S. citizen who wants to petition for a spouse living outside the United States.
Another example is a U.S. citizen petitioning for a parent or qualifying child.
Filing Form I-130 does not by itself give the beneficiary a green card or immigration status. Instead, the petition is part of the family-based immigration process.
The next steps can depend on the beneficiary's relationship to the petitioner, where the beneficiary lives, and whether an immigrant visa is immediately available.
Who Can File Form I-130?
Generally, Form I-130 can be filed by a qualifying:
U.S. citizen
Lawful permanent resident (green card holder)
The petitioner files the petition for an eligible family member.
The exact family relationships that qualify depend on whether the petitioner is a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident.
For that reason, it is important to identify the relationship correctly before you start filling out the form.
Before You Start Form I-130
One of the easiest ways to make the process stressful is to open the form without having your information ready.
Before starting, gather the basic information about both the petitioner and the beneficiary.
You may need information such as:
Full legal names
Other names previously used
Dates of birth
Places of birth
Current addresses
Marriage information, if applicable
Parents' information
Employment information
Immigration information
Previous marriages, where applicable
Alien Registration Number, if applicable
USCIS Online Account information, if applicable
You should also collect the documents needed to prove the qualifying family relationship.
USCIS says petitioners should submit the evidence and supporting documents required by the Form I-130 instructions. (USCIS)
Step 1: Identify the Petitioner
The petitioner is the person filing Form I-130.
For example, suppose Maria is a U.S. citizen and wants to petition for her husband, Daniel.
Maria is the petitioner.
Daniel is the beneficiary.
This distinction is important because many questions throughout Form I-130 ask specifically about the petitioner or the beneficiary.
Before entering information, keep asking yourself:
"Whose information is USCIS asking for here?"
That simple habit can prevent a lot of mistakes.
Step 2: Enter the Petitioner's Personal Information
The form asks for information about the petitioner.
Enter your legal name carefully and consistently with your official documents.
Pay attention to:
Family name
Given name
Middle name
Other names used
Date of birth
Place of birth
Citizenship information
Don't casually use a nickname if the question asks for your legal name.
If you have used another name—for example, a maiden name or a name from a previous marriage—read the question carefully and disclose the name where required.
Step 3: Provide the Petitioner's Address
Form I-130 asks for address information.
This section may look simple, but it is important because USCIS uses the information you provide to communicate with you about the petition.
Double-check:
Street number
Apartment or unit number
City
State
ZIP Code
Country
If you have recently moved, don't automatically assume your old address is acceptable. Review USCIS's current address-change and filing guidance before submitting the petition.
Step 4: Enter the Beneficiary's Information
Now you will provide information about the family member you are petitioning for.
The beneficiary's information should be entered carefully.
This can include:
Full name
Date of birth
Country of birth
Current country of residence
Address
Previous names
Marital information
Immigration information
If the beneficiary's documents use a different spelling from the information you are entering, stop and investigate the discrepancy rather than simply guessing which spelling to use.
Small inconsistencies can create confusion later.
Step 5: Identify Your Relationship to the Beneficiary
This is one of the most important parts of the petition.
USCIS needs to know why you are eligible to petition for this particular person.
Depending on the situation, the relationship could involve a:
Spouse
Parent
Child
Sibling
The available categories depend on the petitioner's immigration status and the particular family relationship.
For example, a U.S. citizen and a lawful permanent resident do not have exactly the same family-based petitioning options.
Choose the relationship that accurately describes the legal relationship between you and the beneficiary.
Do not select an option simply because it seems closest.
Step 6: Provide Information About Your Family
Form I-130 can ask for additional family information, depending on the petitioner and beneficiary circumstances.
This is where having documents nearby becomes especially useful.
For a marriage-based petition, for example, you may need to make sure dates and names are consistent with your marriage certificate and other supporting records.
If either person has previously been married, carefully review the questions concerning previous marriages.
Don't leave out a previous marriage just because it ended many years ago if the form asks for that information.
Step 7: Provide Employment and Other Required Information
The form may ask about employment and other background information.
Use the information requested by the current edition of the form.
If you are completing the form electronically, take your time when moving between sections. It is easy to accidentally enter the petitioner's information in a beneficiary field or vice versa.
A useful approach is to keep two separate sets of information:
PETITIONER
Name, date of birth, address, citizenship/immigration status, employment, etc.
BENEFICIARY
Name, date of birth, address, relationship, immigration information, etc.
Keeping the two sets separate makes the form much easier to review.
Step 8: Check the Supporting Evidence
Filling out Form I-130 is only part of the process.
You generally need evidence showing that the petitioner qualifies and that the claimed family relationship is genuine and legally recognized.
For example, depending on the relationship, supporting evidence can include civil documents such as:
Birth certificates
Marriage certificates
Divorce decrees
Evidence of U.S. citizenship
Evidence of lawful permanent resident status
Other documents requested by the applicable USCIS instructions
The exact evidence depends on the relationship and circumstances.
If a document is in a foreign language, USCIS requires a complete English translation with the translator's certification meeting the applicable requirements. (USCIS)
Step 9: Be Careful with Foreign-Language Documents
This is an area where applicants sometimes make an avoidable mistake.
Suppose your marriage certificate is written entirely in another language.
Simply submitting the foreign-language document may not be enough.
USCIS's Form I-130 instructions state that documents containing foreign-language information must be accompanied by a full English translation, and the translator must certify that the translation is complete and accurate and that the translator is competent to translate from the foreign language into English. (USCIS)
So, before filing, check every supporting document.
Step 10: Answer Questions Honestly
Don't try to provide the answer you think USCIS "wants."
Provide the truthful answer that applies to your situation.
This is especially important when the form asks about:
Previous marriages
Previous immigration filings
Addresses
Names
Employment
Immigration history
Criminal or other background information
USCIS warns that knowingly falsifying or concealing material information can have serious consequences. (USCIS)
If a question creates uncertainty because of an unusual immigration or family history, getting advice from a qualified immigration attorney or accredited representative may be appropriate.
Step 11: Review Every Page Before Signing
This is probably the most underrated part of the entire process.
After completing the form, don't immediately submit it.
Read it again from the beginning.
Look for:
Misspelled names
Incorrect dates
Wrong addresses
Incorrect relationship
Missing information
Contradictory answers
Incorrect immigration information
Missing supporting documents
A second review can catch mistakes that you won't notice while you're completing the form.
Step 12: Sign Form I-130 Properly
A signature is not something to treat as a formality.
USCIS's instructions state that the petition must be properly signed. An unsigned petition or one with an invalid signature can be rejected. USCIS also states that a photocopied, faxed, or scanned copy of an original handwritten signature can be valid for filing purposes in the circumstances described in its instructions. (USCIS)
If you are filing online, follow the electronic-signature instructions presented by USCIS.
Do not have someone else simply sign your name for you.
Can You File Form I-130 Online?
Yes, USCIS allows eligible petitioners to file Form I-130 online.
USCIS also provides a paper filing option, depending on the circumstances. (USCIS)
If you file online, you can use your USCIS online account to manage the filing and receive relevant case information.
If you file by mail, you need to follow the current Form I-130 filing instructions carefully, including the correct filing location and payment requirements.
Don't use an old filing address you found in an older blog post or forum.
Filing addresses can change.
What Happens After You File Form I-130?
After USCIS receives the petition, the case generally goes through the USCIS processing system.
You may receive a receipt notice identifying your case.
The petition can then be reviewed by USCIS.
Depending on the case, USCIS may:
Approve the petition
Request additional evidence
Schedule an interview or other appointment when appropriate
Deny the petition
If USCIS requests additional evidence, carefully read the notice and respond within the required timeframe.
After an approved petition, what happens next depends heavily on the beneficiary's circumstances.
For example, a beneficiary outside the United States may generally go through the immigrant visa process, while an eligible beneficiary already in the United States may potentially pursue adjustment of status.
An approved I-130 therefore should not be confused with the final issuance of a green card.
Common Form I-130 Mistakes to Avoid
Here are some of the mistakes I would be especially careful about:
Using an outdated form.
Always check USCIS for the current edition before filing.
Mixing up the petitioner and beneficiary.
This is surprisingly easy to do.
Entering incorrect dates.
Check dates against official documents.
Leaving required questions incomplete.
Read the current instructions carefully.
Ignoring previous marriages.
If the form asks about them, provide the requested information.
Submitting foreign-language documents without proper translations.
USCIS has specific translation requirements. (USCIS)
Using an old filing address.
Always verify the current filing location.
Forgetting the signature.
An improperly signed petition can be rejected. (USCIS)
Assuming approval means the beneficiary immediately receives a green card.
Form I-130 is one part of the immigration process.
A Simple Way to Think About Form I-130
If you're overwhelmed by the form, break it into four questions:
1. Who is filing?
That's the petitioner.
2. Who is immigrating?
That's the beneficiary.
3. What is the qualifying family relationship?
This explains why the petitioner can file for the beneficiary.
4. What documents prove the information?
These become the supporting evidence.
Once you look at Form I-130 this way, the form becomes much less confusing.
Final Checklist Before Filing Form I-130
Before submitting your petition, take a final pause and check:
☐ I am using the current Form I-130.
☐ I identified the petitioner correctly.
☐ I identified the beneficiary correctly.
☐ The family relationship is entered correctly.
☐ Names match the relevant official documents.
☐ Dates have been checked.
☐ Addresses are complete and accurate.
☐ Required supporting evidence is included.
☐ Foreign-language documents have the required English translations.
☐ I reviewed the entire petition.
☐ The petition has the required signature.
☐ I verified the current USCIS filing instructions, fee, and filing location before submission.
USCIS specifically advises petitioners to follow the current form instructions, including the evidence and filing requirements. (USCIS)
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I fill out Form I-130 myself?
Yes. You do not automatically need an attorney simply to complete Form I-130. However, if your case involves complicated immigration history, previous marriages, criminal issues, status problems, or another unusual circumstance, professional legal advice may be worthwhile.
How long does Form I-130 take?
There is no single processing time that applies to every I-130. Processing can vary depending on the category and circumstances of the case. USCIS publishes processing information and historical processing data, and the applicable category matters. (USCIS e-Gov)
Can I file Form I-130 for my spouse?
A qualifying U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident may generally petition for a spouse, subject to the applicable immigration requirements.
Does an approved I-130 mean my relative gets a green card?
No. Approval establishes the qualifying petition, but the beneficiary generally still has to complete the appropriate immigration process before becoming a lawful permanent resident.
What if I make a mistake on Form I-130?
It depends on the mistake and when it is discovered. Don't ignore an important error. Review the applicable USCIS procedures or seek qualified immigration advice if necessary.
Where can I get the official Form I-130?
The safest place to obtain the form and instructions is the official USCIS website rather than a random third-party website.
Official USCIS Form I-130 page and forms
Conclusion
Filling out Form I-130 may seem complicated when you first open it, but it becomes much more manageable when you go through each section carefully and keep the petitioner’s and beneficiary’s information separate.
The most important thing is to provide accurate information, use the correct supporting documents, and make sure the petition is properly signed. USCIS also requires applicants to follow the current form instructions, including applicable evidence, filing, fee, and translation requirements.
Remember that Form I-130 is only the first step in the family-based immigration process. An approved I-130 does not by itself give the beneficiary a green card or immigration status. Depending on the circumstances, the beneficiary may later need to complete adjustment of status or consular processing.
Before submitting your petition, take a few extra minutes to review every answer and compare important information with your official documents. A careful review can help you avoid simple mistakes that may cause delays or other problems.
Because immigration procedures and USCIS requirements can change, always check the latest USCIS Form I-130 page and instructions before filing.
Sources
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. (USCIS)
USCIS, Instructions for Form I-130. (USCIS)
USCIS, Filing I-130 Petitions. (USCIS)
Disclaimer
This article is provided for general informational and educational purposes only. It is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. U.S. immigration laws, USCIS forms, fees, procedures, and filing requirements can change. Always check the latest information on the official USCIS website before filing. If your situation is complicated or you are unsure how the law applies to your case, consider consulting a qualified U.S. immigration attorney or accredited representative.

Comments
Post a Comment
Comment should be in the form of message and helpful to the viewers